Avocado Chicken Salad

I am going to preface this post with the fact that I am NOT a food blogger and therefore I don't take pictures of the ingredients before I use them, the process, or anything fancy like that. I have one picture of the final product, and it's nothing special. Now that we're all on the same page, we can proceed. ;)

One day last year we were trying to think of something easy to make for dinner and TJ asked if I thought that avocados would taste good in chicken salad instead of mayonnaise (since we had a few laying around that were about to go bad and I was pregnant and on a guacamole kick). I had heard of using avocados as a mayo replacement in the past so we decided to give it a go and let me tell you, we'll never make chicken salad with mayo again. Not only is it so much healthier to use avocados, it also tastes infinitely better. Even my picky 2 year old loves it!

I know that it's the beginning of the year and everyone is trying to get healthy, so if you're looking for something easy to make that is also good for you, try this recipe. We like to put it in low carb wraps with some pink Himalayan sea salt, shredded cheddar cheese, lettuce, and whatever other veggies you have around. I'm also guilty of eating it right out of the bowl we make it in.


Ingredients
2 ripe avocados
1 cup plain Greek yogurt
1 tsp granulated garlic
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground pepper
4 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
onion to taste
juice of 1 lime

Instructions
Mash the avocados and Greek yogurt in a bowl until smooth. Stir in garlic, onion powder, salt, and pepper. Add chicken and red onion and stir until combined then add lime juice and stir.






You could also use sour cream instead of Greek yogurt if that is what you have, but we love Greek yogurt. I'm not talking about sweet, fruity Greek yogurt--though we like that, too--I'm talking about plain Greek yogurt. If you've never had it you should try it; the flavor is very similar to sour cream. In fact, I prefer the taste of plain Greek yogurt to sour cream so we don't even buy sour cream anymore (just make sure you don't buy vanilla Greek yogurt, your tacos will taste a bit off... trust me).

Let me know if you try this recipe and what you think and also share with me your favorite recipes that replace mayonnaise with avocados. I'd love to try something new!
post signature
Follow on Bloglovin

No comments